Friday, December 19, 2008

My Grandma Durtschi - Celebrating life


Early Wednesday December 10th, I recieved a call from my mom. My Grandma Durtschi had passed away the night before. It wasn't completely unexpected, but that doesn't make it easier, not really. She had been in poor health for several years and I'm happy that she's no longer suffering. I flew out to Utah for the funeral. The whole thing was beautiful and a remembrance of her life. I had the chance to speak and shared some of my memories of Grandma, but I would like to share some here too so that all may know that my grandma was an amazing woman.


One of my earliest memories, which I shared at the funeral, was shortly after my sister Sarah was born, my grandparents were visiting and my grandma was holding Sarah and motioned me over to the couch next to her and when I sat down by her she said, "You have the most beautiful baby sister don't you?" I know that family was important to my grandma. She loved us so much and strove to teach us by love and example.

One thing that would never fail was when we would stay at her house over night she would come into wherever we were sleeping and make sure we were covered, no matter how old we were. She was always concerned about our health and comfort.

My grandma loved to bake. She taught me how to make cookies. Any success I have in cookie making is because of her. The thing I loved the most was her bread. We could eat an entire loaf in about 30 seconds.

She had a great sense of humor. I remember one Christmas she gave my brother David an onion. She wrapped it in several layers until it was about the size of cantaloupe melon. She laughed with joy as David unwrapped it layer by layer. When he finally got to the end it is was just an onion we laughed and David took a huge bite out of it.


I love my grandma and will miss her. She has blessed my life. Through my memories of her I will celebrate her life and the gifts she's given me.

my brothers and cousins as poll bearers

No comments: