Monday, April 21, 2008

Planting Trees

So Jess sent me a text Friday afternoon and asked me if I would like to help plant some trees with a service group on Embassy Row. I love playing in the dirt, having grown up with gardens. I said yes and managed to drag myself out of bed at 7:30am on Saturday morning (after going to bed at 2 am). We took the Metro up to DuPont Circle and walked over to the Zambia Embassy where everyone was meeting for orientation and assignments. There were probably close to 150 or maybe 200 people there. A lot more volunteers then they expected. We had about 10 people working on our hole and got our job done in short order. It was so much fun! The people we worked with were hilarious and the work was satisfying. One of the workers in the Embassy of Paraguay (were we ended up planting our tree) came out and gave us water. She seemed pleased with our tree.
Eating breakfast to give us strength




Digging the hole
A job well done...us and our tree
Our Tree
The statue in the Zambia Embassy garden was signed up as a volunteer too.

On the way back we stopped to take some pictures of the Dogwood trees (finally in bloom) and while we stood there taking the pictures Jessica asked me if I knew where the Greek Embassy was since her grandparents are Greek she wanted to see what she needed to do to get duel citizenship. I had just finished taking my pictures and confessing that I had no clue, when we walked around the corner of the Embassy lawn we had gone up to take the pictures and what do you think we saw...yep you're right...the Greek flag flying high over the Embassy. Lucky? Fate? I don't know, but of course we had to take pictures.

Jess called her folks to find out the Embassy hours, since it obviously wasn't open...and of course since I had a camera so I took another picture.

The perfect Spring day...

No comments: