Thursday, April 10, 2008

Memories of Yesteryear


It's my mom's birthday tomorrow and my sisters and I decided to put together a slide show, featuring family pictures. My mom is currently in Georgia taking care of some property there and is kind of far from my Dad (in California) and the rest of us spread throughout the USA (i.e. Virginia, Florida, Utah and Texas) We thought she would enjoy some memories of us. My sister sent me some long forgotten pictures from our childhood


My parents engagement picture. It was taken in my grandparents side yard. I used to play in those trees. Every Easter my grandma Larsen would get all the grandkids chocolate or sugar eggs with their names on it and they usually ended up among these trees



One of the wedding pictures. That is so typical of my dad. He's always been a silly one. I think one of the most common phrases in our house is/was "Oh Dad, you're so silly."





My older brother David, probably about 18 months or so, outside my Grandparent Durtschi's house in Ogden Utah.


This looks like Christmas, and based on the furniture, I think we're at my grandparent Larsen's house. From Left to right in the back it's Elisabeth (my sister just a year older then me), David (the same cute boy in the picture above, but a few years older) Me ( I would have been about 2 1/2) In front is my little sister Becky (I say little, but most of her life she's been taller then me)


I think my mom or dad took this picture because this is the state they liked us in best...little kids are so cute...especially when they're sleeping. See those big white teddy bears in the background. Elisabeth and I got those for Christmas one year, they still have their hats and look fairly new and the red pajamas I have on were from the same Christmas so there is a very good chance that this was Christmas night the year we got those bears. Those bears were very well loved. I used mine as a pillow for years, until it started really falling apart when I was in high school.

Another sleeping picture. I spent many a happy hour in my mommy's lap being rocked. And as my sister Elisabeth mentioned in one of her posts, even when we were too old to be rocked we would still try to climb in her lap for some hugs and once the rocking chair was too small we would climb into my parents bed. I'm not sure who my mom is rocking in this picture, but my guess is that it's Becky and here's why....my mom is pregnant, but the child is too old to be me when she was expecting my sister Becky and too young to be me when she was expecting Sarah. Also if you look closely at the fingers you can see a little finger sticking out on the side of the child's face and sure sign of Becky who loved to suck on her middle two fingers. I could be wrong...
The Famous Carmel Popcorn and my grandma Larsen. The little kid sitting on the counter sharing the popcorn with my grandma, is my sister Sarah. You can see Elisabeth behind my grandma and my brother David with his back you and my profile next to my brother.
Here we are, several years older and at my grandma Maren's house. She's my great-grandpa Durtschi's wife. She lived in Midway Utah and I loved going to visit her. She had a player piano that we would spend hours playing. It was so much fun. Our two favorite songs were the bumble bee song and Unchanged Melody. I received that conductor hat that year and I loved it. I wore it as often as I was allowed, until my head got too big (yeah, yeah I have a big head...don't rub it in)
One of my favorite Halloweens. My brother David found this huge pumpkin and carved out the bottom and gutted it and placed it one his head as a costume. It reminded me a lot of the headless horseman in the Legend of Sleepy Hollow.

One of the oldest family pictures we have. Aren't we cute!? Doesn't Katelyn look a lot like her mom when she was her age?

Katelyn: age 3
My how we have grown! Family picture from 2 years ago.
Thank you for taking this walk with me down memory lane!

5 comments:

Warren and Marianne said...

Hi Amy!!! It is funny that we run into each other every once in a
while...now we've got each other's blogs we'll be able to keep up a little
easier! After I posted that comment on your blog I found out that some
of them were Liz's kids! It was easy to tell that was her daughter, she
looks just like her mom! =D We are excited about adopting as well!
We're hoping to get all the money we need for it before the end of this
year, but there's lots of stuff going on before that so it might take us a
bit longer. We're moving AGAIN this summer. This time into our very
first HOUSE!!!! My husband, Warren, was accepted to Western Illinois
University and will be working toward finishing the last bit of his
bachelors and his masters degrees there. I kind of hope that once he's done he
can just get a job at the university so we don't have to move yet
again, but life doesn't always go the way you plan just cause you want it
to! Boy have I learned that lesson. Ha ha...anyway, once we get
moved in, you totally have to come visit us!!! Our current address is

Marianne and Warren Guymon
216 1/2 S. Throop Street
Woodstock, IL 60098

Elisabeth said...

I love it. thanks for sharing some of those memories. you'll have to email me those pictures, I don't have hardly any of when we were kids.
I love YOU!

Lori said...

wow. that was fun amy! i haven't checked your blog in awhile, it was really funt to see those pictures! I had forgotten about the carmel popcorn Grandma Larsen made, hee hee... yes yes and the Easter Egg "hunts" in her backyard. that was great!

how's your family?

Anne said...

Hi Amy,
I found your site when I was looking for your grandmother Maren D. I would like to contact her because we seem to do family research on the same families (von Sienen in Leussow). Can you help me? I am writing from Germany.

Regards, Anne

Anne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.