Friday, October 2, 2009

The Month of September

September was a crazy month...

I flew out to UT to on Sept 1st to help my sister Becky move into her new condo (YAY Becky!) It's a nice place. I like it a lot. She seems happy and excited about it.

That next day my dad called and told us that he was fired (officially, not just a notice like before) He was so sure that he was going to be reinstated since he was one of the senior programmers on the project with the most knowledge and experience, but honestly that's probably why he was fired. SO my dad packed up his stuff in California and drove to UT (He was coming to UT anyway, but was only planning on staying to help my mom pack up the Orem house, which they just sold, and for my nephew's baptism and then head back to CA) My dad only had 18 months until he could retire with the full benefits and all (another reason he was probably let go)

Anyway...my folks got to UT on Thursday night (Sept 3rd) By which point we had Becky basically moved in. We (my folks and I) spent all Friday packing up the Orem house and I went to pick Becky up from work and died...we still had more to do, but it was getting late...my folks stayed in Orem...

That next morning my dad called about 8 am to tell us that my Grandpa Durtschi had passed away earlier that morning. It was expected, he had been sick and in failing health for a while and all, but I don't know if that really makes it much better...I was doing okay until I had to talk to my coworkers to arrange for more time off to stay for the funeral.

We had the funeral service on Wednesday Sept 9th. It was a simple and beautiful service. Elisabeth was able to join us. Becky, Elisabeth and I sang and I spoke. I'm happy that my grandparents are together again. It must have been hard for my grandpa, staying behind while my grandma went on last December. I'll miss them both.

My nephew Jared was baptized on Saturday, Sept 5th. I can't believe he's already 8 years old! Time flies!

That Sunday, Sept 6th we made arrangements to see Sarah at Temple Square. She took us on a tour. It was SO much fun. I miss Sarah. She looks great and seems very happy.

I flew home Sept 10th. Before I left we finished packing up most of the Orem house expect for the last few things, such as the dolly, which my dad packed at the end and didn't secure well and it ended up falling on his head...he had to go to the emergency room and get 8 stitches. My poor daddy!

So I got back to work on Sept 11th and was told that they had chosen a new person to hirer and she would start Tuesday. Tuesday came...she started and we started training...training is interesting...fun and yet so time consuming. Needless to say it was an interesting 10 days. The newbie didn't quite work out and on Sept 24th my manager spoke to her and told her it wasn't working...it was hard for all parties involved.

My folks made a cross country trip, stopping at Grandma Maren's (Southern Utah), Aunt Anita's (Colorado Springs), Elisabeth's (Temple TX) along the way.

As I said, September was a crazy month...I'm so glad it's Oct :)

With all the heartaches and struggles my parents are going through they seem to be taking it really well. It's an inspiration to me. I know they have prayed and cried, but they haven't given up and that's a big deal.

No comments: