Thursday, March 12, 2009

Winter Wonderland...in March?

Okay...


I just have to say that this goes against everything I knew about March growing up. I understand that in other parts of the world outside of California, March is still considered winter, but in the temperate central coast California world where I grow up, March is the middle of spring! I never understood the song lyrics "April showers bring May flowers." it was always "March showers, bring April flowers and brown grass in May." I'm serious! They had the May Wildflower festival the first weekend in May in one of the small towns near where I lived and I never understood why they had it so late in Spring since a lot of the wildflowers had already bloomed and died.
However, here, in good ol' Northern Virginia, winter extends into March and we experienced it's full force March 1st.
Our backyard

Front yard

Me trying to find Emma's car

We probably had a good 4"-6" and most of the schools were delayed or closed. My office was closed. I was told to use my digression about coming in. My roommate Mel told me to say home. She didn't get the option to stay home (although I think she got to go in late) and she said there were 6 or so accidents on George Washington Parkway. Emma and I wisely stayed home most of the day. We had plenty to do since we had just moved in the Friday before. Unpacking and other fun activities. We ventured out about 4pm (after it had stopped snowing and the most of the roads had been cleared). We ran to the mall so Emma could use the fax and so we could order Internet. And you want to know the best part of the whole thing? It was about 60 degrees less then a week later....What's up with that?!

No comments: