Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Presidental Election - Voting

Everyone was freaking out about long lines and machines breaking down for the voting today. They were worried that it would take hours and hours to vote. That in mind we made a plan in our office to have a 'morning voting shift' and 'afternoon voting shift' to make sure our office would be covered. I was in the 'morning voting shift' and decided that 7 am would be a good time to go get in line.

I got ready and drove over the Longfellow Middle School and expected to see a line, which there was, but nothing to write home about. The hardest part was finding a place to park. Finally I just parked up the street and walked back to the school. I was accosted by campaigners the minute I got close, from both the Republican and Democrat parties. I guess they want to give the wavering voter one last chance to decide who to vote for. Honestly...

The wait wasn't bad...45 minutes start to finish.

Here are some things I learned from my voting experience

1. You can make some great friends waiting in line. I met one of my neighbors I never met before. We had a great talk about the area and what we liked or didn't like.

2. My Grandpa Larsen was right, if you go to the front you'll find a parking space. After I got in line I saw that the front row had an empty space I completely missed or may have come available after I left, I'm not sure, but I will tell you 3 more came available during the time I stood in line and not a single car came all the way to the front to use them. See...Grandpa was right. It always worked for him I don't know why I doubted.

3. Your vote does Count and voting makes you feel good. One of my coworkers received her citizenship last year and was extremely excited about voting and then someone told her that her vote doesn't really count and kind of explained the electoral college. She was really put out and felt that it didn't seem to matter if she voted or not, but it does. First off for the electoral college it counts. the Electors of each state can technically vote contrary to the popular vote of the state, but they rarely do, therefore you vote helps to influence the popular vote of your state and ultimately the election of the President and Vice President of the USA. Second it counts because how it can influence you. Voting (hopefully) makes you more aware of the issues/platforms etc of the politicians and more concerned/consciences of the out come. Wear that "I Voted" sticker with pride. I know, cheesy, but I feel that involvement, even in this small way, in our political system is important. It made my day to be able to vote (again cheesy, but true)

1 comment:

Pat R said...

i can't help thinking it's awesome that there has been such long lines all over... people taking a greater interest in public issues is always a good thing