Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Fort Marcy


Heading North on George Washington Parkway, just before the McLean exit there is a small brown sign indicating the entrance to Fort Marcy. Every time I drove by that sign with Mel, we puzzled over just what is Fort Marcy. Well as chance would have it, I took two days off before the 4th of July with the indention of going to Chicago. However those plans fell through and I still had those days off and in need of something to do I decided to take a drive. I head to my one of my favorite drives, the GW Parkway and soon found myself at the Fort Marcy exit. Having nothing better to do, I took the exit. I found myself in a parking lot surrounded by the tall trees common in this area. I decided to walk around, even though I was in flip flops. I found an entrance to a trail with a National Park Bulletin board (an answer to our question, FINALLY!) Fort Marcy was built during the Civil War, along with several other forts to protect DC from the Confederate forces. Fort Marcy was strategically place to help protect Chain Bridge from attack. The land was borrowed from the owner to build the fort and given back to the family after the Civil War. Eventually Fort Marcy was donated as a National Park. It's a beautiful, peaceful place. (Although looks can be deceiving. A little tidbit of information, for those too young or socially unaware to remember, it was at Fort Marcy were White House Deputy Counsel, Vincent Foster, was found after he committed suicide (or was murdered, depending on who you ask.))



I happend upon some random Civil War cannons hiding in the bushes. I can't imagine what it required of the soldiers to build the fort in the first place and then to maintain it in terms of clearing trees and bush. Looking at it today you would never guess that most of the trees and all the bushes were cleared at one time (notice how empty the land is around the fort in the Civil War picture below.) They would have to remove some of the trees to see the bridge and road they were supposed to be guarding. It's amazing how much I felt like I was in the middle of no where and yet, there I was, near several major roads (GW Parkway, Glebe Road to name a few.)


(Picture taken from Fort Marcy towards the military camp. This is a picture of the Fourth New York Heavy Artillery's camp according to this site.)

Fort Marcy is the head of several Potomac Heritage National Scenic Trail , leading to Chain Bridge, Turkey Run Park, Theodore Roosevelt Island etc.

It's a beautiful place and I'm going to visit it again and this time I'll take Mel with me. 'Cause I bet she wants to know what Fort Marcy's all about. Hopefully next time I wont happen upon a couple having a 'picnic' in the park.

No comments: