Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Everyone's Doing it









So I did it. I started a blog. My talent for writing is non-existent, but giving into peer pressure…. Not that I have anything amazing to say, but it's a great way to keep my friend posted on this fantastic time of my life. Besides haven't we all secretly hoped that we could be 'published?'

I moved to Falls Church VA (about 12 miles outside Washington DC) about 10 months ago. Honestly I can't believe that it's almost been a year. You know what they (the elusive 'they') say "Time flies when you're having fun." And fun has been had! Take this picture for example. One night we (meaning my friends Freda, Jules, Emma and I) decided to go to a jazz bar in DC. Freda in her typical flamboyant manner insisted that we all wear hats. Getting to the jazz bar was an adventure in and of itself. Saturday night in DC the streets were packed. Freda's amazing parallel parking skills saved the night, squeezing into an "available" parking spot, which of course was several blocks to our ultimate destination (HR 57 ). Oh why did I wear heels? Along the way Jules and Freda made a new friend, who was a little wasted. She told Jules to make time for her girlfriends and to stop thinking about her boyfriend (since Jules had a boyfriend at that time.)

Finally, we arrived. We pay our $8 each and go in. It's a little crowded. Hmm. Take the closest seats. Sit through a song. Bad seats. No wonder no one was sitting there. Stand up. Move to new seats. Which of course are at the front. Uh...The whole room's staring at us. What? What's the deal? Sit through a few more songs. Not bad. Freda and Jules on a mission for food. Tap, tap, tap. Someone's tapping on my shoulder.

"We were just wondering why you are all wearing hats?" he asks.

Uh...Because Freda told us to? "Oh no reason, we just all wanted to wear hats."

Nods approval. "Very cool." (you have to admit we all looked FABULOUS!)

"Thanks." I turn to look at Emma with the look of 'did that really happen?' Emma shrugs and we manage to hold in our laughter until the band starts again. Freda and Jules return and seeing the looks of mirth on our faces query "What happened?" The story and laughter were shared. Also during the course of the night someone asked us (in this case meaning Jules, Emma and me) if we were sisters. Because you have to admit...one of these is not like the others (to quote my friend Freda.)

(Left to Right: Freda, Jules, Me, Emma Lin)

Oh, and least I forget, on the way back to the car we were asked if we knew the words to the Ghostbuster theme song. Of course!

If there's something strange in your
neighborhood.

Who ya gonna call?
Ghostbusters!

If there's something weird and it don't look
good

Who ya gonna call?
Ghostbusters!
I ain't afraid of no ghosts

I ain't afraid of no ghosts!
Good Times had by all.

No comments: