Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Going Home for Christmas!

I know this will sound really silly, but I just bought my tickets to go home for Christmas and I'm so excited! And it made me think. Last night I was talking to my brother David while he was driving home ( I love cell phones and free mobile to mobile) and he asked me if I was going to come home for Christmas. I told him yes that I really wanted to and that set off a discussion about what home means. Because, honestly, we both were born in Utah, grew up in California and moved back to Utah for school. I moved to Virginia about a year ago and he's still in Utah...so where is home? When people ask me where I'm from I always say California, because that's more of a reflection of who I am, but home...where is home? My brother David said the home is where the parents are. I like that. My college roommate Valory would always say, "Home is where my pillow is." Also very true :) As for me...I think that home is where I most want to be, or who I most want to be with. California, Virginia, Utah, doesn't matter, it could all at once, or none at all. Parents, siblings, by myself the same it true.

2 comments:

sperry said...

home is incredibly realtive isn't it. I think I must confuse my girls because home changes all the time for me :) Home is where we all live together, when we're visiting Grandma it's there too (honestly I always consider one of my "homes" at mom's house... I think she'd be ok with that:) ) It's also at the other Grandma's house and even friend's places when were visiting. I like what you said that home is where we most want to be... I think that holds true for me, as you can tell it's definitely not a single point on the map :)

Unknown said...

California is my true home. For the time being where I lay my head each night is my home.